To the Legislative Assembly of Ontario:
WHEREAS, it is the duty and responsibility of the Ministry of Economic Development to oversee and enforce accessibility standards and requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA)
WHEREAS there are over 1.950 people living with disabilities in the Waterloo Region who are unemployed.
WHEREAS there are physical as well as systemic barriers preventing Ontarians with disabilities from finding meaningful employment
WE the undersigned petition the Parliament of Ontario as follows:
We ask that the Ministry of Economic Development utilize an independent review process and expand current AODA enforcement activities beyond the assessment of voluntarily submitted Accessibility Reports, and use the powers, authority and penalties set forth under the Act to ensure compliance with the requirements therein.
We ask that all Ministries of the Ontario Government work collaboratively to take action and assist Ontarians with Disabilities to gain meaningful employment through the following mechanisms:
• Removal of physical barriers
• Ensuring accessible transit
• Incentivizing job creators
• Creating an emphasis on affordable and accessible training and educating people with disabilities for gainful and sustainable employment
• Removal of ODSP penalties that discourage employment, such as health insurance for all employed with disabilities.